The state of California passed legislation that allows employees to accrue paid sick leave beginning Wednesday, July 1st 2015. To learn more about the new legislation, visit the state’s industrial website at http://www.dir.ca.gov/
Who’s eligible for paid sick leave?
Beginning July 1, 2015, employees working 30 or more days within a calendar year in the state of California will begin to accrue paid sick leave.
Who’s NOT eligible for paid sick leave?
Employees covered by qualifying collective bargaining agreements, In-Home Supportive Services providers, and certain employees of air carriers in the state of California are not covered by this law.
Other important information:
- Employees hired after July 1st will begin accruing paid sick leave on their first day.
- Employees will be eligible to use sick time after 90 days of employment.
- Employees will accrue 1 hour of paid sick leave for every 30 hours worked, but may only use 3 days (24 hours) per calendar year.
- Unused sick leave may be “rolled over” to the next calendar year, however the accrual amount is capped at 48 hours.
- To be paid for sick leave, TargetCW employees simply add another “timecard” in webcenter, their online time keeping tool. If hours are submitted in a different manner, please check with your onsite provider.
- Accrued sick leave will be reported to TargetCW employees via pay stubs.
- Certain cities in California are subject to more generous sick leave policies. Employees working in San Francisco and Oakland, or if your assignment provides a more generous sick leave policy, this new law does not restrict ordinances or policies.
Click here to download the TargetCW Paid Sick Leave flyer